Those in good oral standing might still develop a serious oral emergency that requires rapid attention. Children, teens, and adults can all have urgent dental needs that may place their oral health, smile, and comfort at risk. When a dental emergency affects you or a loved one, it is important to understand how to best manage the situation and where to get the help you need. At DentalWorks - Anderson, our team of dental experts have provided emergency dental care for numerous patients over the years and have the experience and expertise your family needs when the unexpected happens.
When you develop an oral emergency, receiving the assistance and high-quality treatment you need is essential for your ongoing oral health and overall wellness. Our emergency dentists in Anderson, SC know how stressful an emergency situation, oral pain, or a traumatic injury can be. We are pleased to provide you with the following information on the best way to preserve your smile when an emergency strikes.
COMMON DENTAL CONCERNS THAT THREATEN ORAL HEALTH
Specific dental concerns can pose minor troubles, including surface discoloration or tartar buildup, while more significant circumstances can truly put your total health in danger. Though any abnormal or unusual conditions within the mouth are cause for concern, there are several types of problems that may place your oral and even general health in peril. Some of these include:
- Abscessed or infected teeth
- Tooth pain or a toothache
- Fractured or chipped teeth
- Damaged or loose restorations
- Missing crown or filling
- Broken denture or bridge
- Unexplained oral bleeding
- Severe bite to the tongue, lips, or cheeks
- Oral injury or traumatic impact
- Knocked-out or extruded teeth
- Urgent orthodontic needs
*If you or your loved one experiences a life-threatening emergency, severe oral damage, or excessive bleeding, please visit the emergency room or seek help from a medical doctor right away.
WHICH CONDITIONS REQUIRE EMERGENCY DENTAL CARE?
Smile emergencies could be caused by routine acts (for example, eating crunchy foods), physical impacts while being active, or from trauma. Urgent oral health needs that result from these types of situations can disrupt your life and interfere with your comfort. But having a skilled emergency dentist on hand who can address your urgent dental care needs can make all the difference in your recovery and long-term oral health. The following describes common dental conditions that are often emergency situations and why seeking treatment right away may be necessary to save your smile:
- Knocked-out or extruded teeth: A knocked-out (avulsed) or partially knocked-out (extruded) tooth presents a serious situation in which time is a crucial factor. Only a small window of opportunity exists (generally 30 minutes) for our trained dental team to reintroduce the tooth back into the socket and facilitate a successful reimplantation process. If this occurs, please contact our Anderson, SC office right away so that our team can instruct you on the proper way to handle the tooth until you arrive.
- Oral damage from sports injuries, accidents, or slip-and-falls: In the event of a mouth or facial injury, it is often advised that you visit the ER or with a medical doctor first to make certain your general health is not at risk. Once this is determined, our team at DentalWorks - Anderson can treat your injuries or restore oral conditions, such as broken teeth or restorations and damage to the gums or jaw.
- Toothaches/tooth pain: One of the most common conditions requiring urgent dental care among Anderson, SC patients is toothaches or tooth pain. These dental issues may result from a wide range of sources, including advanced decay, an infected or abscessed tooth, exposed root surfaces from gum recession, and even an uneven bite, among a host of other factors. Tooth pain can be anywhere from minor to debilitating and should never be ignored. A visit with one of our emergency dentists can identify the source of your pain and provide the professional treatment you need to enjoy your life.
SAVE YOUR SMILE WITH PROMPT DENTAL CARE
If an emergency tooth issue impacts the wellness of your mouth, we ask you to receive help promptly. Even minor discomfort can bring major complications to your smile without the proper attention from a skilled emergency dentist. For comfortable care and relief in the wake of a dental emergency, call DentalWorks - Anderson. Our Anderson, SC team can instruct you over the phone on how to care for broken teeth, damaged fillings, or oral tissues until you arrive at our office.